There are many type of reports. A report is simply __1__ of something that has happened. The commonest are __2__. We get them in newspapers, over radio and __3__ television. Sometimes cinemas also show us newsreels.
The main purpose of a newspaper __4__ provide news. If you __5__ a newspaper closely, you will find that there are all types of news： accidents, floods, fires, wars, sports, books, etc. The news __6__ everything that happens to people and their surroundings. Sometimes there are news items which are very __7__.
The big __8__ bold words above the news items are called headlines. Their purpose is to __9__ attention so that people will buy the newspaper because they want to read __10__ of the news.
A news report is usually very short, __11__ when it is about something very important, but it __12__ a lot of information. It is also written in short paragraphs. The first paragraph is in __13__ a summary of the news item. It gives all the necessary information： what, when, where, how, why. The other paragraphs give __14__ of the subject. There may also be interviews __15__ people. The words actually spoken by them are within inverted commas.
Often there are photographs to go with the news to make it more interesting.
1. A) a count B) an account C) an accident D) an incident
2. A) news reports B) new reports C) news report D) new report
3. A) over B) by C) on D) through
4. A) is to B) is C) is to have D) is to be
5. A) examine B) watch C) look D) see
6. A) concludes B) covers C) conclude D) cover
7. A) amuse B) amused C) amusing D) to amuse
8. A) or B) as well C) both D) also
9. A) give B) attain C) pay D) attract
10. A) the rest B) rest C) other D) the other
11. A) besides B) apart from C) except D) except for
12. A) composes B) concludes C) confirms D) contains
13. A) details B) reply C) all D) fact
14. A) fully details B) full details C) details fully D) details full
15. A) with B) between C) to D) among
KEYS： BACAA BCADA CDDBA