Yuthachai of Thailand has invented a home-grown alternative to expensive imported diesel1, a biodiesel derived from vegetable oil. Biodiesel is winning political backing in Thailand because it uses coconut and palm oil, both of which are in price slumps, and it limits the reliance on overseas petroleum source, which has become increasingly expensive.
Yuthnchai, 56, has patented his coconut-oil fuel-making process. He developed his biodiesel 18 years ago, using knowledge he gained from working on a plantation and fixing farm machinery. He now sells his fuel at service stations, but refuses to sell his patent, despite attractive offers from overseas oil firms. He is determined to retain control of his formula and keep it accessible to farmers, so they can make their own fuel.
There are several formulations of biodiesel, but Yuthachai’s is one of the most basic, using 20 parts crude coconut oil to one part kerosene. It requires only simple, affordable technology to make and works in unmodified, slow-running engines.
Despite the public interest in biodiesel, the government has been cautious about Yuthachai’s fuel. Since there is currently no regulatory system for vegetable-oil fuels, Yuthachai fuel cannot be used in regular vehicles. But farmers and ferry operators are more enthusiastic, buying 700,000 liters a day of biodiesel made from crude vegetable oils to run farm machines and boats. Demand is growing: A liter of biodiesel is 4-6 US cents cheaper than diesel.
According to some scientists, the biodiesel produced from crude coconut oil may not run through engines as easily as diesel, and fatty-acid deposits can damage engines in the long run2. A solution may soon come from using waste cooking oil. An experimental biodiesel plant to refine the waste oil is being built in Thailand. The plant will show the biodieselmaking potential of 60,000 tonnes of waste cooking oil that Bangkok generates daily.
Other Asian countries have been researching biodiesel — Malaysia, and the Philippines for 20 years — but Thailand is the first country to have public policy supporting its commercialization.
That trend looks like continuing,3 with the government in talks with a U. S. company to build a more advanced plant in Thailand. Until that’s working, homegrown biodiesels will help boost the fortunes of struggling Thais.词汇： biodiesel n.生物柴油 Thailand /5tailAnd/ n.泰国
Thai /5tB:i(:)/ n.泰国人 regulatory /5re^julEtEri/ adj.管理的，控制的 coconut /5kEukEnQt/ n.凡椰子 fatty-acid脂肪酸 slump /slQmp/ n.暴跌 refine /ri5fain/ v.精炼 affordable adj.负担得起的 commercialization n.商业化kerosene /5kerEsi:n/ n.煤油，火油 注释：
1. … a home-grown alternative to expensive imported diesel：……取代昂贵的进口柴油的一种本地产的燃料。 alternative之后接介词 to。
2. in the long run：最后，最终
3. That trend looks like continuing…：发展势头似乎还要继续下去…… look like：看上去像。如：It looks like rain.看上去要下雨了。
1. Thailand suffers a lot due to the price slumps of its biodiesel. A Right B Wrong C Not mentioned
2. Biodiesel is superior in quality to traditional petroleum. A Right B Wrong C Not mentioned
3. Biodiesel can be made from coconut and palm oil, or from waste cooking oil. A Right B Wrong C Not mentioned
4. Malaysia, and the Philippines are the first countries in the world to have public policy supporting the commercialization of biodiesels. A Right B Wrong C Not mentioned
5. Yuthachai fuel is welcomed by both farmers and ferry operators for its low prices. A Right B Wrong C Not mentioned
6. Yuthachai, the inventor of biodiesel, is currently the general manager of a US Thailand joint venture in Bangkok. A Right B Wrong C Not mentioned
7. It seems that Yuthachai places his fellow farmers’ interest before his own. A Right B Wrong C Not mentioned
2. B 本题给出的信息是错误的。事实上，根据第五段的第一句： the biokiesel produced from crude coconut oil may not run through engines as ealily as diesel, and fatty-acid deposits can damage engines in the long run，生物柴油的质量比普通柴油要差。
3. A 本题给出的信息是正确的。第一段说及，生物柴油的原料是椰油和棕榈油，第五段又说到，生物柴油还可用废烹调油制成。
4. B 本题给出的信息正好相反。事实是：泰国是用政府政策支持生物柴油商业化的第一个国家。根据在倒数第二段。
5. A 本题给出的信息是正确的。根据见第四段。
6. C文章没有提到 Yuthachai担任泰美合资公司执行总裁一事。
7. A Yuthachai顶住外国石油公司的诱惑，拒绝出让生产生物柴油的专利，目的是让泰国农民能利用他的配方，自行生产生物柴油。根据见第二段。