’Shall we make a man of him?’ repeated the Doctor.
’I had rather be a child,’ replied Paul.
’Indeed!’ said the Doctor. ’Why?’
The child sat on the table looking at him, with a curious expression of suppressed emotion in his face, and beating one hand proudly on his knee as if he had the rising tears beneath it, and crushed them. But his other hand strayed a little way the while, a little farther - farther from him yet - until it lighted on the neck of Florence. ’This is why,’ it seemed to say, and then the steady look was broken up and gone; the working lip was loosened; and the tears came streaming forth.
’Mrs Pipchin,’ said his father, in a querulous manner, ’I am really very sorry to see this.’
’Come away from him, do, Miss Dombey,’ quoth the matron.
’Never mind,’ said the Doctor, blandly nodding his head, to keep Mrs Pipchin back. ’Never mind; we shall substitute new cares and new impressions, Mr Dombey, very shortly. You would still wish my little friend to acquire - ’
’Everything, if you please, Doctor,’ returned Mr Dombey, firmly.
’Yes,’ said the Doctor, who, with his half-shut eyes, and his usual smile, seemed to survey Paul with the sort of interest that might attach to some choice little animal he was going to stuff. ’Yes, exactly. Ha! We shall impart a great variety of information to our little friend, and bring him quickly forward, I daresay. I daresay. Quite a virgin soil, I believe you said, Mr Dombey?’
’Except some ordinary preparation at home, and from this lady,’ replied Mr Dombey, introducing Mrs Pipchin, who instantly communicated a rigidity to her whole muscular system, and snorted defiance beforehand, in case the Doctor should disparage her; ’except so far, Paul has, as yet, applied himself to no studies at all.’
[NextPage]注释：stray vi. 流浪；迷路；偏离
stray birds 飞鸟集（泰戈尔著名诗集）
stray current 杂散电流
stray light [化]杂散光
stray from 偏离
stray animals 迷失动物
(1) This dog must is a stray.
(2) Don’t tell me about any more stray animals, ok?
(3) The stray betrayer arrayed the sprayers on the road.
(4) A stray bullet struck his steel helmet and glanced off.
(5) Perhaps, I thought, a stray ambulance would pick her up.
(6) GOATHERD had sought to bring back a stray goat to his flock.
(7) A plump brown hen was pecking around for stray grains of corn.
stream n. 溪流；流动；潮流；光线
main stream 干流；主干流
data stream 数据流
a stream of 一连串
blood stream 血流
steady stream 稳恒流；稳定流
stream of consciousness 意识流（一种文学流派）
on stream 进行生产中
down stream 下游；[经]下游工业
air stream 气流
mountain stream 山林小溪，山涧；高山流水
gas stream 气流；气体流
jet stream 急流，射流；喷射气流
upper stream 上游
stream flow 流量；河川径流
stream cipher 流密码；密文流
stream function [计]流量函数
gulf stream 墨西哥湾流
trunk stream 干流；主流
revenue stream 收入来源；收益流
stream line 流水线
(1) We waded across a stream.
(2) He jumped his horse across the stream.
(3) The Gulf Stream is a warm ocean current.
(4) Our mind is a sponge; our heart is a stream.
(5) The stream had thinned down to a more trickle.
(6) Some children jumped out of the stream quickly!
(7) Why did you choose a site with a stream near by?
(8) Can you jump across that stream[over the fence]?