1. Most doctors of the Colonial period believed _______ was caused by an imbalance of humors in the body.
A. in disease
B. that disease
C. of disease
D. about disease
2. In 1976 Sarah Caldwell became _________ at the Metropolitan Opera House in New York City.
A. she was the first woman to conduct
B. the first woman conductor
C. the woman was first conducting
D. the woman conducts first
参考译文：1976，Sarah Caldwell成为在第一个在纽约Metropolitan Opera House演出的演奏家。
补充： 常考 the first/second/… one to do sth
3. On January 7， 1955， Marian Anderson became _________ to sing a major role at New York City’s Metropolitan Opera House.
A. the first African American
B. the first African American was
C. she was the first African American
D. when the first African American
参考译文：1955年1月7号，Marian Anderson成为在第一个在纽约Metropolitan Opera House担任主唱的美籍黑人。
4. Perhaps the most significant postwar trend was the decentralization of cities throughout the United States， _________ when massive highway-building programs permitted greater suburban growth.
A. and accelerated a phenomenon
B. a phenomenon that accelerated
C. accelerating a phenomenon which，
D. the acceleration of which phenomenon
分析：考的是同位语结构，a phenomenon是 the decentralization of cities throughout the United States 的同位语。A中and为conj.，后面应该连接一个完整的句子，但缺主语，错;C中语序混乱，错; D中of which作为介词宾语，后面应该接一个完整句，但只有一个phenomenon主语，句子不完整，错。
补充： accelerate/ accomplish/ achieve/ evolve都可以是vi.不接宾语
5. Ronald Reagan had served two terms as governor of California before _________ President.
A. he became
B. when becoming
D. did he become