1. Although ____ Spanish, he attended the course.
A. he was knowingB. he is knowing
C. having a knowledge ofD. knows
2. You ____that letter to James. However, you didn’t.
A. ought to writeB. ought to have written
C. should writeD. should be writing
3. Joseph was very lucky ____ with his life; he almost did not get out of the room.
A. to escapeB. to have escaped
C. to escapingD. to be escaping
4. Bread and butter ____liked by Westerners.
A. isB. areC. wereD. be
5. The back garden of our house contains a lawn, ____very pleasant to sit on in summer.
A. which isB. which it isC. it isD.where it is
6. He set up in business ____ his own and was very successful.
A. inB.ofC.onD. by
7. John’s score on the test is the highest in the class; he ____ last night.
A. must studyB. should have studied
C. must have studiedD. is sure to study
8. Frank almost never received any education, ____?
A. would heB. did he
C. didn’t heD. wouldn’t he
9.Even if his letter ____ tomorrow, it ____too late to do anything.
A.will arrive...isB.should arrive...were
C.arrives...will beD.arrives...would be
10. We can hear____from the back of the room.
A. just as goodB.just as easy
C.just as wellD.easily as well
11. To obtain a satisfactory result, one must apply two ____of paint on a clean surface.
A.coatsB. levelsC.timesD. courses
12. The small mountain village was ____ by the snow for more than one month.
A. cut backB.cut out
C.cut offD. cut away
13. Miss Green was ____ $100 for driving after drinking.
14. Modern ____ perhaps causes more problems than it solves.
A. technique B.technology
C. tactics D.tendency
15. Mary tiptoed over and took the clock away because she hated to hear it ____ when she was trying to go tosleep.
A. soundingB. ringingC. tickingD. humming
16. Under this ____ pressure some of the rocks even became liquid.
17. Of course, most immigrants did not get rich overnight, but the ____ of them were eventually able to improve upon their former standard of living.
A. maximumB.minorityC. majorityD.minimum
18. Nancy was surprised that they have ____. They seemed to be a happy couple.
A. split upB.broken down
C. fallen throughD. knocked out
19.The beach is in an ideal ____ to draw tourists.
A. conditionB. situationC. stateD. publicity
20. Our ____ sensitivity decreases with age. By age 60, most people have lost 40 percent of their ability tosmell and 50 percent of their taste buds.
A. sensibleB. senseless
C. sensitiveD. sensory
21. The eldest child is thoroughly ____ because they always give him whatever he wants.
A. wastedB. spoiled
22. If a substance is dissolved in water or heated, it may ____ a gas.
A. give intoB. give over
C. give offD. give away
23. His manner was so pleasant that Bolla felt at ____ with him at once.
A. peaceB. largeC. easeD. best
24. —Can you takethe day off tomorrow?
—Well, I’ll have to get ____ from my boss.
A. permissionB. permit
C. allowanceD. possession
25. The ____ in Janet’s character has hindered her from advancement in her career.
A. weaknessB. merit
C. defectD. shortcoming