1. On no account ____ ever leave the baby at home alone.
A.should you B.you should C.shall you D.you shall
2. I understand ______ preparation that staff must put in under pressure to meet the deadline.
A. more than the enormous amount of
B. better than most the enormous number of
C. better than most the enormous amount of
D. fewer than the number of
3. I’m sure your suggestion will ______ the problem.
A. contribute to solving B. be contributed to solve C. contribute to solve D. be contributed to solving
4. In 1840, both Lucretian Mott and Elizabeth Cady Stanton resented ______ proper seating at the World’s Antislavery convention in London because of their sex.
A. refusing B. to be refused
C. being refused D. having refused
5. Nowhere in nature is aluminum found free, owing to its always ____ with other elements, most commonly with oxygen.
A. being combined B. having combined
C. to combine D. combined
6. America will never again have as a nation the spirit of adventure as it ______ before the West was settled.
A. could B. did C. would D. was
7. Physics is the presentday equivalent of ____ used to be called natural philosophy, from ____ most of presentday science arose.
A. which, what B. that, which
C. what, which D. what, that
8. Evidence came up ______ specific sounds are recognized by babies as young as six months old.
A. what B. that C. which D. whose
9. ____the center of our planetary system was considered as heresy by the church in the Middle Ages.
A. It is the sun and not the earth
B. That the sun and not the earth
C. Being the sun and not the earth
D. The sun and not the earth
10. The reason that his property was confiscated by the country, it ____, was that he was involved in a lot of fraudulent activities during the war.
A. was turned out B. was being turned out
C. being turned out D. turned out
你决不应该把小孩一个人放在家里。on no account 意为“决不”属否定意义的词，引导倒装句，所以只有A)项正确。
我比多数人更能理解员工们在最后期限的压力下所做的大量准备工作。understand better than...意为“对…非常理解”。preparation是不可数名词，须用amount修饰，故选C)。
由于铝总是和其它元素结合在一起，最常见的是和氧气在一起，所以自然界中哪里也不会找到单独的铝元素。owing to 是介词，后应接名词或动名词，根据题意，应接被动语态形式。
当今的物理就是以前被称之为自然哲学的等同物，大多数现代科学都产生于自然哲学。what used to be called作定语，修饰natural philosophy,from which引导一个非限制性定语从句。
后来证明他的财产被国家没收的原因是，战争期间他参与了诈骗活动。it turned out (to be)这里作插入语，意为“证明是…”。